Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Mother's Love

Hollywood and all those airbrushed magazine photo covers would lead one to believe that mothers are supposed to look 20 - even when they are 50 - still have incredibly sexy, thin bodies with no stretch marks or cellulite - and have makeup and hair that looks like they just stepped out of the beauty salon. Evidence of sleepless nights, scrubbing floors, wiping runny noses, or playing on the floor with their children should be hidden from view.

I submit to you one photo you will never see gracing a cover of a magazine - and I would also suspect would bring gasps from many that I even allowed it to be seen publicly on a blog!

This photo was taken at Disney World. As we waited for the fireworks show, the clouds opened up and poured sheets of rain. It let up enough for us to walk, very quickly, to the bus stop to wait for our bus back to our hotel, only to start again. The line was too long for all of us to stand under cover so Mom and the girls waited under cover while I stood in line - 20 minutes of solid downpour. Total wait time was 45 minutes but I'm thankful the last 25 was under cover!

Too often I fall into the trap of thinking I need to be glamour mom - don't know why, I was never glamourous even before being a mom. So while I look like a drowned rat and there is nothing physically attractive about me in this photo - I am proud of it. It is proof that I'm not always as selfish as I think I am and it reminds me of my proper priorities - people first.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen you with wet hair before. I think it is kinda cute all curly like that.

    ReplyDelete

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)