Monday, December 14, 2009

Just Wait Until They are Teens!

If I had a dollar for every time I heard, "just wait until they are teens!" when my kids were younger, I would have enough money to buy all these teens their own cars AND pay for the gas to keep up with their social lives.

You know what? Those people were wrong! Having teens in the house is not the torture it is made out to be by well meaning? friends who don't want you to think they will be sweet and little forever.

Can it be difficult? You betcha. Is there conflict? Most definitely. Is it challenging? Abolutely, without a doubt!

But what they don't let you know when they say "just wait until they are teens!" is all the good stuff.

Watching your teens become their own person. Watching them own their own faith. Watching them develop their own opinions and work through things. Watching them interact and laugh with their friends. Watching them have nerf gun/ping pong ball wars in your basement that's torn up in preparation for painting. Watching them work together to paint that basement for you. Watching them play with the little sisters who idolize them. Watching them comfort those little sisters when they fall down. Watching them fix the door that YOU broke. Watching them develop a great talent and use that talent for God's glory.

Yep, there are days I feel like pulling my hair out. There are days I wish my house was quiet...and neat. But in the end, I have to admit, having teens is an adventure and I never thought I'd actually enjoy it as much as I do.

I am not even close to being a perfect mother as my teens can most certainly tell you, but I do hope they know how much I love them and how glad I am that they are mine. (even the extras I have on a regular basis. They know who they are. ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)