We go through a LOT of yogurt around here. Having lived in Europe, we have come to appreciate plain, non-flavored yogurt without all the added sugar. I decided to give the yogurt feature a whirl last weekend. It was a bit time consuming as far the IP was concerned but required little effort on my part.
The second stage requires 8 hours of incubation after stirring in the yogurt starter (in my case, a big spoonful of yogurt already in my fridge.) It had a lot of liquid whey and I found removing the lid without adding more liquid from condensation a challenge. However after I strained it in the fridge overnight, it was thick and creamy and quite tasty. Although a little more tartness would be my preference. In future, I will try playing with the incubation period to hopefully get a thicker consistency to start with.
1/2 gallon of milk yields 2 quarts of yogurt..making it basically half the price of 2 quarts of plain Greek yogurt from Costco.
Yogurt is a two step process. First boiling of the milk- or steaming the jars if you are making individual pots of yogurt. I opted for the large pot. I poured in 1/2 gallon of milk and pushed a button and walked away. Two hours later it was heated and had cooled down to the proper temperature for the second step.
1/2 gallon of milk yields 2 quarts of yogurt..making it basically half the price of 2 quarts of plain Greek yogurt from Costco.
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)