Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cheesecake Factory of my own

One perk...or pitfall..of participating in the FB group with other Instant Pot fanatics, is the plethora of photos of cheesecakes made in the IP.  They are adorable and get rave reviews.  So I did what I usually do when faced with a new food to make...I jumped on the bandwagon...AND texted my BFF LFT and asked her for a recipe.  She sent me her favorite..a classic New York cheesecake from a blog called This Old Gal. (and for the record, that blog has THE BEST recipes!)

 I've never made a classic cheesecake before so I got organized and laid it all out to be sure I had it all
Classic graham cracker crust.  I got it a little too thin in the middle.  On the next one I made I shook the crumbs around for even distribution before pressing them down.

After mixing the cream cheese part, I covered the pan with papertowel and foil as directed.

Full disclosure...I am a blonde AND have senior moments.  In order to get the pan down into the Instant Pot, a "sling" is required.  I made this one out of foil.   However, I failed to fold it into the pot and ended up with a sealing failure.  Steam pouring out the sides was my first clue.  A frantic text to LFT set me to rights.  I turned it off and started over again.

Voila!! Perfectly baked cheesecake with no cracks!

Sour cream topping finishes off this classic New York cheesecake.

Pure Yumminess!!!

After making 2 of the classic cheesecakes (I gave the second to a neighbor), I attempted an Oreo cheesecake.  I did not have the same success.  It is tasty but the texture is not quite right.  A little Google research tells me my mistake was most likely in overbeating the eggs.  It cracked almost immediately as it came out of the IP.



It was however tasty, the texture was just off.  Serving suggestion was to top with whipped cream and crushed oreos.  However, I made the crust extra thick so skipped the Oreos on top.  It got a 4 thumbs up from my family...even from Sweetness who doesn't like Oreos.  (I didn't know such a person existed, must less in my own family!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)