Well its the last official day of summer vacation. Backpacks are packed, school uniforms laid out. Lunches will be packed later. The girls' tutorial and our official school year begin tomorrow.
At the beginning of summer vacation, a mere 14 weeks ago, I came up with a summer school plan. I prepared 21 math lessons, 21 dictation exercises, planned to have them read aloud 28 times from 2 chapter books, and learn all 26 capital letters in cursive.
15 years of homeschooling and about 10 years of similar goals. So how did I do?
Well, we did 14 math lessons, 12 dictation exercises, and learned 22 capital letters in cursive. We did not finish a single chapter book, and changed our choices no less than 3 times each so finally gave up and just started getting books from the library and using them. We didn't record our readings after that, but I am sure that in that one goal, we did succeed.
While we did not check off all the little boxes (and after so many years of this repeated fantasy, I would have been shocked if I ACTUALLY did it all) we did have a great educational summer anyway. Sweetness and Sunshine learned to ride bikes without training wheels, and learned about (and experienced) an earthquake, a hurricane, and a variety of creepy crawlies found in our backyard. Frog learned about bee stings, allergy shots and how to fly a plane. Clone learned about broken bones...and patience. Swan learned about using her gifts and talents to minister to others locally. And I learned that its okay not to check all the boxes off but its okay to make them
Hope does spring eternal after all.
Monday, September 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)