Pesky little things! they are everywhere around here. we have tried spraying with poision - only to see them crawl over the poison trails like they were road maps directing them to the goods. I've used homemade "bug juice" that contains chili peppers, cayenne, dish soap and water. It kills them instantly but more always come back.
We've set out the little Combat bait traps that are supposed to kill the colony. We saw a reduction for a short period of time but then more came.
I have beautiful new granite countertops with black flecks on it. Its quite disconcerting to see your countertop design moving each morning.
So now I am trying this recipe. Hopefully it will be effective in killing the ants and yet is still non-toxic to my family:
1 cup very warm water
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp borax
after just 15 minutes

after about an hour

about 5 hours later - the activity was endless the entire time

at the end of the day

being the good homeschool mom that I am, I turned it into a science lesson. Shh, don't tell my girls most kids get summer breaks!

These baits were put out on Friday. It is now Monday. We had a small flurry of ants on Saturday - less than pictured in the first picture here and haven't seen any ants - anywhere - in the kitchen since. Perhaps we've stumbled upon the cure -
hope does spring eternal doesn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)