Yesterday we were discussing envy in Sunday School. MWC used the example of others getting promoted "below the zone" (That's military speak for getting promoted before the expected proper time frame.) He said he could be tempted to ask, "what do these guys have that I don't"
My reply (not spoken aloud in class but he knows it anyway) "a wife praying fervently against it?"
MWC is up for promotion "in the zone" this year. (That's military speak for getting promoted on the proper time frame.) While the extra pay would be a very nice benefit, I'm not sure its worth it.
A promotion for him at this point, could very likely mean another move. It would also mean longer time in service and more possibility of deployments. It would also mean even longer hours than he works now.
I can live with any of the above, and not LIKE a single one but its the thought of moving again that has the biggest impact on my desire for no promotion. To put it bluntly, I'm tired of moving. I'm tired of no roots.
Our military life has been wonderful. We have loved all our assignments but one and even that one wasn't bad. We have lived overseas and travelled all over Europe. We have close relationships with our children and each other that I believe is a result of our constantly uprooting and only having each other as a constant.
However, my older children are starting to leave our nest. Clone graduates next year and is not planning to return home to live after that. Swan will most likely go on a mission trip next summer and Frog leaves for college. My big children are now branching out and making their own way in the world. I want to be rooted in one place from which they can branch out and return to visit.
I also know though, that our true foundation is God and whether we are rooted in one place or not, we are grounded in His sovereign control of our lives. He will plant us where we will grow and best serve His purposes.
So while I do not want to move, most of all, I do want to be where God would have me. And if it is God's will for MWC to be promoted, stay in the military longer and move yet again, we can always use that extra pay for plane tickets get all our notrootedintheworld branches back together.
Monday, May 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)