I'm sure you've heard of school being called due to snow, teacher strikes, inclement weather, maintenance issues and various other assorted reasons. I bet I have one you haven't heard of...school called on account of hormones.
Yep, you read that right...on account of hormones. Its a first for me too. However, after morning devotions, a brownie and Nutella for breakfast, a retail therapy break involving 3 pairs of boots, 3 dresses, 3 pairs of leggings, and 2 pairs of tights followed by more brownie and Nutella for lunch eaten while watching the latest episode of Downton Abbey did nothing to appease the beast, this mama decided to call it a day after one math lesson and a half finished English test (completed in the car on the way to retail therapy no less).
It's no secret I'm entering those years, and I have two daughters who appear to be approaching those years at the other end of the spectrum rather early. Yesterday, it seems as if it was all clashing together at once in one hormonal apocalypse. It was just too much to handle.
You may say what you want about the evils of Facebook but yesterday, I'd like to think it saved my daughters. No, not because I spent the day playing on it distracting myself, but because of a quote I read there last week which made me realize, calling it a day was the wisest course of action.
That quote: Be careful how you speak to your children, one day it will become their inner voice. (I googled it and found it is attributed to Peggy O'Mara.)
I've been thinking a lot about that lately, unfortunately, too often, AFTER I've already spoken, but I am trying more. (My apologies to Clone, Swan and Frog for their inner voices!) Realizing pushing through just to say we got our schoolwork done, was just not worth the risk and we called it a day with little done.
It means today will be way more packed as a result but that's okay. If I prevented just one negative inner voice by my decision, a longer school day today is a very small price to pay.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)