Probably the single most scary thing about moving to the UK was the knowledge that I'd have to learn to drive on the *wrong* side of the road. "At least they speak your language" (well sort of, but that's another story), I could tell myself when moving here, but I could not hide the fact that my 30+ years of driving experience were all backwards to how I must drive here.
So I have been very proud of myself for never driving on the right (as in direction, not correct) side in the 3 months of being here. Until yesterday that is. And because I obviously do not believe in goofing up mildly, I did it in front the SP's at the base gate. Thankfully, no one came after me but I have to wonder how many families enjoyed the story of the goofy red BMW on the wrong side of the road.
I came out of the commissary which is right next to the gate. Typically I just head out the gate and head straight home, but yesterday was not my typical commissary day and I had to head back to MWC's office so instead of getting into the far left lane to make my left out of the roundabout by the gate, my brain was telling me to get in the right lane to go around the roundabout. However, out of habit, my hands heard that "right lane" and got all excited and took me to the far right lane. It wasn't until I noticed a Ford F150 enter the roundabout that I realized if he wanted to turn left, I was in his way!
As you can tell--how else would I be writing this post?-- the huge Ford did not enter the lane I had inadvertently commandeered, I was able to quickly enter the roundabout and get out of the way of anyone else coming, and I somehow avoided legal action in spite of the audience. (Shhh, don't tell MWC but I was relieved that I was going to his office to switch cars with him immediately following that escapade, should they decide a man(or woman) hunt for the crazy driver was necessary.
I think today may just be a good day to stay at home....
Monday, October 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We who have lived in countries where they do drive on the opposite side of the road have all been there. Have you used your windshield wipers instead of your turn signal yet?
ReplyDelete