Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language is how the saying goes. (who to attribute it to is open to interpretation..Winston Churchill, George Bernard Shaw and Oscar Wilde are among the possibilities.)
Having lived here now for over 2 months, I have to say I agree.
This morning at church, I caught myself ready to give the same wrong answer to the same question...again...but caught myself in the nick of time.
The question that threw me?
How did you find it?
Google, of course, was my initial thought and then I remembered that I was not talking to an American but a British couple so I quickly swallowed my incorrect answer and replied.
Lovely, I like it here very much.
Another embarrassing moment averted, until tomorrow when some other "English" phrase throws me yet again.
Sunday, September 9, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is definitely one that would trip me up.
ReplyDelete