As I mentioned in my post re: my return to blogging, I've spent the past 6 months dealing with pain in my legs and back. I have had 4 procedures on my legs trying to alleviate it. It has reduced it dramatically but its still there and I still have to plan and prioritize my activities to manage it.
A few years ago, my good friend shared The Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino www.butyoudontlooksick.com with me. (You may google it to find it as I do not want to break any copyright rules by posting it here.) It is an excellent explanation on what it is like to live with an illness or disability and its also an excellent reminder that we can't do it all and when there are health issues, we must prioritize.
We have company coming this weekend. I am so excited to see them as they are relatives of my husband we rarely see and I love them. I love to host and cook and plan special meals and had a great menu planned for the weekend. I am heading to the commissary this morning to buy the food on the list I made last night.
Then this morning, I woke up with a headache and throbbing legs and aching back. The commissary is a challenge on a good day. It was a wake up call. I have to go to the commissary today. It is my only day available this week and we must have food. It is a necessary spoon (probably 3 or 4 really.) It made me think through my week's schedule and the other prep things I have to do...on top of doctor appointments and extra care required for a right-handed 6 year old with a broken right arm.
I realized I needed to make some changes. I can feed my guests special meals and possibly put myself out of commission for going anywhere with them OR I can feed my guests nice meals and spend time with them and enjoy their company. (I am sooo thankful, a clean house is not in the equation as I now have a cleaning crew who will do that for me!)
So now I have a simpler menu plan, a slightly shorter grocery list, and hopefully more spoons available to enjoy time with our guests.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)