Sometimes lessons we learn in life are painful. Sometimes we get off easy. Sometimes we learn very valuable lessons with very little negative impact on ourselves.
Last week, Frog and 8 other teens thankfully experienced the latter. On Friday afternoon, I got the call every mother dreads. "Mom, I've been in a car accident." I could see the accident when he called so was able to get there very quickly after he called so I didn't have long to worry before I could see him.
He was riding home with a friend from school with 4 other kids in the same car. They were stopped. The jeep behind them, did not brake and rear ended them and sent them into the car in front of them.
Because of state law, all the kids under 18 had to be transported to the hospital via ambulance to be checked out. All were checked and released very quickly (in fact, by the time I got to the hospital Frog was being checked by the doc and told he could go home)
One boy in Frog's car, had forgotten his seatbelt but remembered to put it on as they left the school parking lot. 50 yards later, they were hit. Because of his location in the car, he would have been very hurt had that not happened.
There had been a brief discussion of overfilling that car and putting someone in the rear hatch b/c there were not enough seats. They wisely decided against it. That hatch was quite crumpled after the impact.
3 cars, 9 kids, 1 accident. 9 seatbelts in use. 0 passengers where they did NOT belong in the car.
9 kids safe at home, a little sore and hopefully even more assured in their wisdom to buckle up.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)