Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Today we went to a Memorial Day service. I am ashamed to admit, especially as a military family, its the first for us that I can remember.

Like many, I am sure, Memorial Day has become the official day to kick off the summer to us. it is also the holiday weekend in which we can usually go away and celebrate our anniversary. today, we have a cookout and pool party with friends planned. However over the past several years, and after 3 deployments, I have become increasingly aware of the importance of this day and the need to honor it. How discouraging, especially for our aging veterans, and for the families of those who have lost loved ones in service to our country, to see the rest of us going on with our lives as if what they have done is unimportant. How ungrateful we are to have forgotten and to take for granted all the freedoms that they paid such a price for. I hope that I no longer forget. It was an hour out of our holiday. Quite an insignificant sacrifice when you think about it.

2 comments:

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)