Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Romance through the years



romance
rə(ʊ)ˈmans,ˈrəʊmans/
noun
  1. 1.
    a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.

I love watching my newly married son and engaged daughter with their chosen loves.  The excitement of  new love and all their hopes for their futures brings me great joy.  The sweet things they do to woo and express their love for one another brings back many fond memories.

When you look up romance in the dictionary, you will not find MWC's picture there. By worldly standards, MWC is romance challenged.  He did a decent job of it wooing me and in our early days of marriage but time and familiarity took their toll and his true nature took over.

This is not a complaint.  I have always known he is not what one would consider a "romantic" guy. Just because he is not a romantic guy and the days of silk roses on monthly anniversaries and love letters are behind us, doesn't mean he doesn't show his love...very well.

Through the years I have appreciated his steady, unwavering love and its practical expressions.

The world may not see these as "romantic" but they make my heart swoon.

He was the one who got up with sick children in the night because he can get back to sleep quicker.

Homeschooling children for a week to give me a break...and so he better understood my day.

Building a step for my arthritic knees within hours of ortho suggesting it for me.

Bringing me warm cookies from oven and a cappuccino while I elevate my legs to rest them.

Just to name a few.

And his latest MWC style romantic gesture?  Going against his frugal nature and purchasing "premium" Les Mis tickets because that was all that was available.  When I asked why and said we could have gone another time, he replied, "you've already arranged childcare for that date.  You've already spent a lot of time looking for tickets.   I didn't want you to have to do any more work on this to change the date so I bought what they had."

Now I'm looking forward to spending the day in London strolling through art museums followed by an evening of Les Mis (in amazing seats no less!)

It would appear we do still enjoy romance after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)