Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Day 11 - A set

Remembrance Day Poppies

We spent a wonderful day in London today.  I wanted to see the poppies at the Tower of London one more time before they start to remove them tomorrow.  Its amazing the impact it has on one to see that many poppies in one place and realize each one represents a life lost in World War I.  It was packed today but I'm so thankful we were able to see them and be there to hear a large portion of the 21 gun salute.  

At 11, we observed 2 minutes of silence while standing next to the Tower Bridge.  It was quite touching to see all the boats on the Thames come to a halt and watch the Bridge raise to salute the fallen.  

We had the happy circumstance to meet a man from Guernsey while waiting for the bridge to raise.  I have read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society twice so when he told us he was from the small island of Guernsey I knew exactly where he met.  He was amused by all the Americans who now come to their island because they've read the book. He has not...but he says his wife had.  It was interesting talking to him.

In the past we've not done a lot for Veterans Day but as Frog was involved in Civil Air Patrol in high school and we attended many Veterans Day services with him, its a new tradition for us..and one I hope we will continue.  To spend it in London today was quite special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)