Thursday, October 2, 2014

Well that was a different experience

Yesterday I had my first foray into the English health care system.  I went to see a "Mr. G" as opposed to Dr. G as he'd be called "back home" about my varicose vein issues.  I'm no stranger to a vascular surgeons office and I had certain expectations about what my appointment would look like.

As expected, we sat and chatted and as expected, I was told I'd be having an ultrasound of my legs done.  That is where my expectations and reality went separate ways.  In the US, a tech did the scan.  Here, the doctor himself did it.  In the US, the tech handed me a robe and and a sheet, stepped out of the room, and came back a few minutes later after I was positioned modestly on the table.  Here?  Well he pulled the curtains closed and told me to take off my leggings.  When that was accomplished, he threw back the curtain, and told me to pull my dress up so he could see my full leg.  And then, with no sheet, I was told to lie down on the table and he performed the scan.  No modesty there.

When he was done, he directed me to the kleenex to wipe the gel from my legs, sat down at his desk and said, we'll go over my findings after your things are back on.  So I dressed with him in the room. 

A few weeks ago, I was introduced to the concept of a co-ed locker room at the swimming pool where I attend water workout classes and now this.  My good old fashioned modesty may never recover! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)