Monday, December 19, 2011

An open letter to my sons

Dear Clone and Frog,

I have just returned from 6 days at Disney World.  In general in the parks, people are considerate and generally well mannered towards one another: waiting turns in line, letting small children stand in front of them for the parades,etc.  However, in the 6 days of riding multiple buses daily to get everywhere we went, I saw just one, yes just ONE, man offer his seat to any woman or child who had to stand on the bus.

On several occassions, your sisters had to sit on the dirty floor of the bus because they were too short to reach the handles to hold on to and a pole was inaccessible to them and I was not able to support them  while a man sat in a seat right beside them.  I saw your grandmother and others even older than she having to stand while healthy men sat oblivious to the needs of others older or weaker than themselves.

I was proud knowing that your father would have never been one of those men.  I knew he would have never taken a seat to begin with unless he knew there would be enough for everyone waiting in line.  I know that he would have given up his seat for someone had he seen the need.

I would like to think that you would follow his example and do the same.  I know its not the popular or common action these days..but it is still the RIGHT one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the sake of privacy, I do not use my family's real names on my blog. Please be mindful of that as you leave your comments. Thanks! :)